I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Thursday, May 15, 2008

More Adventure room adventures

We took the kids to the childrens museum last friday which was a ton of fun. I don't know if the kids had more fun than I did, but I sure hope so. I didn't have a kid I was personally responsible for because I wasn't sure if my visa situation was going to go as easily as I was hoping. The visa worked out great, thanks for the prayers and support. I spent most of the time at the childrens museum helping with Anna. She's the girl I was responsible for when we went to the zoo, so I was really excited to do that. After lunch we took the kids into the library for some reason or another. It wasn't really a quiet place after we brought the kids in there, and one of the autistic we took spent his time running around and hitting the books that the other adults were quietly reading to their children. The other adults there were really understanding to us though, which was nice. We didn't lose any of the kids for very long, but some of them are quite good at running off during moments of chaos.

Monday at work we had a birthday party for one of our staff at Rachawadee Boys which the kids liked. We cooked some food that they ate on top of the food that the government gives them. After work Monday I went into the city to help take 30 kids from the homes to go see some concert that was to benefit disabled children. It was an odd experience. One of the government ladies invited me to come with, but I think she was surprised that I said yes. So I went, the only one from CCD, and the only white person in the whole place. We basically took all the kids in a big covered truck (the cover did nothing for the rain on the way home, I was soaked) into the city which took 2 hours to get there. We ended up with 31 kids when we arrived...I still don't think anyone knows who the extra kid was. They said we'd get back around 8:30...but this is Thailand. 8:30 that night translated into 11 pm. Pretty standard.




Tuesday I had a blast with the kids in the adventure room again. I love going to that place and the kids get a kick out of being there. I really enjoy the fact that it's a big padded room where I can throw the kids around. I realise that there is a lot of things I get to do here working with the kids that most people my age aren't really allowed to do anymore. Such as playing on playgrounds, or in ball pits. I'm really lucky to be out here and have such a great job. The kids here are really amazing people to work with and get to know. I tell them how I'm only able to be out here because of you guys back home, giving me time off from work and helping financially to come here and buy things for the kids or take them traveling around. Thanks for all the support, I'm really looking forward to the last four weeks here!

1 Comments:

Blogger Becky Durham said...

I got your phone message this morning. I think (?) I was in the shower when you called and that's why I didn't hear your call.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I miss you. Come see us as soon as you can!

12:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home