I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Monday, May 26, 2008

Bo's day out






Sunday me and some of the volunteers here took one of the Rachawadee Girls to church, and then out for some ice cream afterwards. I think she really liked it and it was nice to take her to church because she's one of the girls that would understand what is going on and not sit there being bored. She also speaks more english than any of the girls at the wards, many of whom can't even speak at all, so she's really been a blessing to work with by all the volunteers that go through there. She has a great memory of the past volunteers too and can tell you who they are by the pictures she keeps with her in an album. Plus she told me that I'm handsome, so that instantly put her on top of my favorite's list!



It's great taking the kids out when we can because there is so many kids here that want/need to get out that they don't get out often at all. It's hard to choose which one's to take, but they really appreciate wherever they get to go. Bo hadn't gone to church in about a year, which is much like a lot of the guys I'm working with who want to go but don't have people to take them. This weekend we have to do some kind of yard sale in the rich American neighborhood nearby (I'm not too fond of the whole neighborhood in general) and then afterwards we'll be taking some of the smaller kids to the aquarium in Bangkok. I'm looking forward to this trip a lot, but the day will be pretty packed. Sunday I'll be waking up early to take Pittaya to church and then out to the store afterwards. He told me he's earned about 15 dollars from selling his paintings to visitors and he's been really excited to get out to the store and church. The tuesday following that will be my last day at Rachawadee Boys and CCD. I'm sad to leave, but it will be good to be back home and start to make a little money rather than spending it. I'll have about a week off before my plane trip which will be spent writing reports, buying souveniers, and taking another trip to the northeast part of Thailand to visit my friends up there.



The weekend before last we ended up at an island down the coast a bit with 11 of us volunteers. Here's a couple pictures of the trip, in case you're looking for a reason to come visit Thailand. I'll be adding more to the picture website soon enough! The picture with the huts on it is where we stayed, a mere stone's throw away from the ocean for only 9 dollars a night, which I split between me and another guy that came with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home