I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Sunday, May 04, 2008

It's about time we get some holidays here...

I found out on Friday that we have this Monday off of work for labor day. I asked last week when the Monday that we have off work is and they told me that it wasn’t this weekend, but the one after that…somewhere around the ninth of May. I showed up the next day and noticed a calendar that shows we have this Monday off, not the following Monday, but the Monday after that we also have off for holidays. We also (because you can never get too many holidays) have next Friday off. It’s good to spice things up and get a Friday off every now and then instead of all these Mondays.

The days off though are good for having the time to take out other kids that we don’t always get to work with. Yesterday I went with one of the staff to take two of the kids that live in CCD’s foster home to the small island of Koh Kret (walking distance from where we live). We took a boat ride that tours you around the island and stops at a few shops along the way. Afterwards we ate some lunch and came back for a nap. We took two of the kids, Sebone and Tiger. I don’t get to work with them often, but everyone tells me that was an odd pair to take out. I had a lot of fun going and helping out though.

I took one of the guys I work with, Nin, to church today and then out to KFC and do some shopping. I got him some things he had been needing, like razors for his shaver, batteries, pocket knife…you know, the essentials. A couple of the other guys had been asking about getting small backpacks to carry their things around in, so I took a look to see if I could find something suitable. I figure I’ll buy a few of them and give them to CCD staff to distribute to whoever needs them the most.

After taking the kids around all weekend I think I might spend the day off tomorrow going fishing with one of the staff. I used to go fishing with him when I was here last time, but he’s studying at a university on the weekends now so we don’t get a chance to go often. Next Friday for our day off we’re taking some of the smaller kids to a children’s museum in Bangkok which I’m looking forward too. Sethi and Lien from Belgium returned home Thursday night, leaving me now in a house full of English girls. Not as exciting as it sounds…nothing against the English, but living in a house where you’re the only guy isn’t as good as it might sound. Last night they took me salsa dancing somewhere in Bangkok (I spent most of my time down the street at the Seven Eleven). Afterwards we came back home and put on a movie…Dirty Dancing 2, Havanna something or other. My one vote doesn’t seem to go as far as their 6, no matter how many cockroaches I kill for them. I ended up in my room watching the movie Hitman on my computer. It’s a pretty man-tastic movie if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home