I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Well, I didn't get any pictures of it, but I showed up to work yesturday wearing a very green hawaiian shirt that I got on Sunday. It's the kind of shirt that the people here wear for the Thai New Years that they are celebrating next month, so naturally, everyone was wondering why I was a month early wearing the shirt. I told the kids I work with about St. Patricks day and all the traditions that go along with it, such as drinking green drinks, dying the chicago river green, and beating up all the rebels who choose not to wear any green on such a day. The beating up the rebels bit I was able to show them by pointing to the example of Nin and his not wearing green. After the thrashing I gave Nin on St. Patricks day I think he learned his lesson. I showed up for work today and Nin pointed out to me that he made sure to wear a green shirt today. Better late then never. After I helped him eat some lunch he said he wanted to drink some green pop, so I bought him some green Fanta to celebrate St. Patty's day. I figured it was OK since it was still technically St. Patricks day in America.

After work today me and Sethi (belgium guy) went to go play badmitton with some of the staff. I haven't played in years and it showed. I also sweat a lot seeing as the temperature is in the ninety's (36 degrees celsius today for you international types). It was a lot of fun to hand out with the staff after work, and it was good to get a bit of excersise in as well. We're supposed to go back tomorrow and play some more. I won't forget my shoes then since I had to pay 1.50 today to buy socks to go with the 2 sizes too small shoes that they made us borrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home