I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Learning some Thai

Well, I decided against fishing yesturday. I needed a day to relax a bit with nothing to do. Then I was bored not having anything to do so I travelled down to a computer mall that is nearby and bought a couple movies for the kids to watch at work. On the way back I got off the bus a mile and a half away from home to buy some pepsi because it's cheaper there than the store at the end of the road. Realizing after I bought my pepsi that I was going to lose all the profits I made on that stop on another bus ticket to get back home, and not wanting to walk home in the hundred degree day, I popped in next door to the coffee shop to do study some Thai. It was a really peaceful day, but I didn't get back home till about 7 at night. I was wanting to get home earlier, but I couldn't just get a cup of coffee to go. If I did that I would have been better not to even walk over to the coffee shop in the first place. The air conditioning of the little cafe was nice to relax in for a while. It's the place I usually like to go when I need to get out of the house and get some work done doing something such as studying or writing.

One of the motivating factors of learning Thai for me has been that I didn't really want to walk around confused all the time. Even when a Thai person speaks English there still seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion about the details of the conversation. Over time however, I have learned that about 90 percent of the confusion has nothing to do with translating issues. I think it's just the mentaillity of Thai people. I was told last week by some of the staff from another day care that we were taking our guys swimming today. Now I know that it seems I would've had to ask the people I work with to find out if it's true or not, but I thought I was ahead of the game. The people I work with usually tell me wrong dates or leave out details, so I thought that this information was better than the information I usually get. Plus the entire conversation was in Thai, so it couldn't be wrong.

I'm glad I didn't wear my swimsuit to work today. The new rumor is that we're going tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home