I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fishing with the Thais

Jan 22

Saturday was quite a day. I went fishing with some of the Thai staff here at CCD, and a couple other guys who I didn’t know. We traveled about an hour by motorbike to get to the lake which was a trip in itself. I still don’t know the name of the guy whose bike I rode on the back of, but he was pretty good at going through the middle of traffic jams. I guess we were fishing for some pretty big fish because we were using some 12 inch catfish as bait. I was using an eel (at least that’s what I think it was) for bait, but that didn’t work. The driver for CCD seemed excited to have me come out and seemed to do the most fishing. He tied a catfish onto the end of a rod and cast it out into the lake with a bobber attached to it. I had a suspicion that the fish was probably eating our baits because I kept seeing the bobber attached to the catfish swim up next to our other bobbers and rest there for a while before moving on. Our lines were tangled too since we had 9 rods on the ground next to each other. The catfish swimming around didn’t help that problem. After about six hours of only catching three small fish, we decided to go to another lake. Apparently the fish in this other lake eat bread because that’s what we were using as bait. At least I think it’s the fish who ate the bread off of my hook, but possibly it was something else because we didn’t catch any fish at that lake to prove anything.
I did manage to get a lot of sun that day though, and the ants were biting a lot more often than the fish. After the two catfish we used as bait and the 3 small fish of about the same size we caught, I think we only came ahead by 1 fish. I guess that’s better than leaving with less fish that what we came with!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home