I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas craziness

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Things have been getting a little busy around here with Christmas and all. It's funny you know, you would think that coming to a country that's reportedly less than one percent Christian would mean that the Christmas season would come and go without much commotion. Not so this year. Since coming back from Phukket, we've had a party for the community based rehabilitation kids and families with CCD. This meant waking up before six on a Saturday morning to leave. The volunteers were expected to prepare a couple songs and the girls had to learn Thai dance to perform there. Then, on Tuesday, we had a big party at the government compounds for the small children hosted by CCD. It was a good christmas party and the girls had to prepare their Thai dance again for their performance. I escaped from performing in that one somehow. Friday is the big CCD christmas party where I had to go buy a gift for the gift exchange. I've been preparing some muay thai kickboxing dance thing with the guys at work that i have to perform there. Then i have to do a skit with the volunteers for the party. Then i have to sing a song with them. The party is in the afternoon and the morning is filled with CCD sports day. Apparently there's some games that we play against one another and for some reason I'm supposed to dress up like a girl at some point??? I don't really know what they were saying to me, we'll see how that goes. Then there's a christmas party at the house here on Saturday and on Christmas we have some open house with another missionary here working with CCD. Wednesday I think I'm going to a university somewhere to talk about what I'm doing here, but I'm still not too sure about that since I haven't heard anything since Phukket about it.

I've never heard of sports day, but i have a second one the following week with all the government staff too. Thailand is finally having it's cold season, this means about a weeks worth of 80 degree days and 70 degree nights. I think this is the only time that they can play sports here without dying of heat.

Everything is going well though. I'm going to take New Years and go to an island nearby with some of Sarah's friends. It'll be nice to enjoy the rest for a change.

Well, that's a small taste of my Christmas so far here, I hope all your shopping is going well and have fun with the decorating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home