I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

girls night

Nov 6

Friday night was “girls night” at the house. I’m not too sure what that meant since there are 7 girls living at this house and 1 other guy. That being said, every night here feels like girls night so I don’t know why there was a need to set a night aside for girls night. Oh well, I wanted no part of it. The moment I heard about it I decided that under no circumstances would I remain in the house on that night. So, I packed a bag and headed for Klong Toey, the largest slum community in Bangkok. I figured I would go and see the family I stayed with last year and either stay the night there if they offered or I would find a cheap guest house. It took 2 1/5 hours to get to Klong Toey by buses, I should probably find a faster route. I was an hour late for prayer that night but it was good to be there anyways. They had a prayer meeting with a bunch of different people in the slum. I recognized a lot of them from when I lived there last year and they remembered me. It was really good to see them again. We prayed a lot for the slum and when we were done I went back to P Charley’s house (my host from last year) and ate some Thai soup with him and the family. He offered me to sleep on the floor which I gladly accepted since it was almost 10 at night. So I slept on a hard tile floor all night with a sheet as a mat next to P Charley. It reminded me of staying there last year in a lot of ways. I never seemed to fully be able to understand what was going on at any given moment and I had a Bible study with P Charley late that night and early in the morning (½ in Thai, ½ in English, and ½ in gestures!)
I think the girls had fun at the house here, and, from what I hear about the level of girliness that was going on, I can’t think of a better place I could have slept that night than on P Charley’s floor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home