I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Feb 14
Last weekend we were able to go with Koon Visit, who is in charge of Friendship For Peace (another Thai organization we have become friends with here), to hike a mountain. It was quite an experience. There were six of us total, 3 volunteers and 3 Thai people. The mountain was 5.5 kilometers up and took us around 6 hours to conquer it. It was great to be with them for the whole weekend and enjoy the Thai culture with them. The Thai people are incredibly welcoming to us wherever we go which always makes the time spent with them great. I have to think that Thailand is probably the hottest country in the world (as far as I’ve experienced it) but still I almost died of hypothermia last weekend. I have seen my breath for the first time since last winter in America. I didn’t bring much in the category of warm clothes, and what I did bring became wet as it rained all day Sunday and our tent collapsed soaking everything I owned in water. Sunday night I didn’t have a blanket either since it was wet and I slept the night in my T shirt and plastic rain poncho. I made it through the night by remembering that the next day I would be cooking in the heat again and dreaming of that cold wet feeling again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home