I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Monday, February 06, 2006

Jan 30

Saturday night was good here in Thailand. We had a Western food cooking night for some of the friends that we met through the Friendship Foundation in Bangkok and also with some of the staff at CCD. They were interested in our different foods so we set up a night to treat them to a good western meal. I made hot wings using “Wild” sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings. Allison was kind enough to bring this out. Most of the Thais said it was too hot (more for me!) but some of them really liked it a lot! Sarah made some chili, mostly American style but with some Thai ingredients. We also had Swedish meatballs made by the Swedes (apparently they just call them “meatballs” in Sweden) and some mashed potatoes. Someone brought a yellow watermelon from Thailand too which was interesting to me. It was all a lot of fun though and a great night to be able to bond with the people we’ve met and those we are working with.

I had a chance to meet with the leader of Servant Partners on Thursday to talk about my possibly coming out to Thailand for a period of 5 years with that organization. They focus on urban poverty, both bringing to gospel to them and searching out ways to bring some social justice as well. It’s an incarnational ministry which means I would be living in a slum with the people for the time that I was here. I’m excited about the work they do and the possibility I have to come and serve with them. I’ll keep you more updated as I know more about my plans after I return. Only about 6 weeks left! The time is going fast.
I’m going to see some wrestling (I think Sumo Wrestling!) on Thursday night with some of the kids from the government wards! I’m very excited about this. Friday night I should be going into the slums for a prayer meeting and to visit the friends I have there, then Saturday I’m going fishing with about 8 other guys from CCD’s staff (which will be interesting since it’ll mean I have to communicate in Thai all day) and Sunday me and Paul are taking Sen and Ratchanok to church which they are really excited about. Paul is the new volunteer that has come from England to work with CCD for the next 6 months. It’s very good having another volunteer at work. Well, the next week should be full of lots of stories and hopefully some good pictures too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home