I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Thursday, January 10, 2008

40 some hours and 5 airports ago...

I don't remember how long it took me to get here, but it involved a lot of waiting. While I haven't experienced enough to have a highlight of the trip thus far, I think it would be safe to say that the lowlight has to be the 3 + hours I spent on the New York subway system. When traveling to New York I wouldn't recommend making that the primary sight that you see, though, the wonders you may see there!



Our first flight out of New York was 3 hours late by the time we took off. Had it been 3hrs 15min late we probably would have missed our connecting flight in Taiwan. Had it been 2hrs 45min late, we probably would have not only arrived in Bangkok on time, but so would our luggage.



The first thing I noticed in Bangkok was the smell...ah that familiar smell. Nothing too attractive about it, but it still has a familiarity to it...much like these tiny mosquitos that accompany me as I type. It was about an hour car ride from the airport to the place we are staying. We arrived about the same time the others got off from work today which was nice that we got to meet them all. The names of the other volunteers are... Well, the names aren't important now, I'm sure I'll learn them once i get a little sleep in me, and maybe a shower.



Praises. Yes, there are a few of them. For one, the language is coming back to me and I was able to navigate the taxi and understand what I was getting for dinner. My room has AC in it that can only be turned on at night (brilliant!). We were able to travel here safely and get into the country with no hassle. We have to go next week I believe to get the proper visa, but we're still legal for now. And Amazing Grace. My prodigal luggage has returned! After wandering off the path of righteousness in Taipei and refusing to board the same plane as me, it has returned tonight to bring me joy and clean clothes. Yes, this was great blessing today. Thank you God!



Time to go try to sleep off some jet lag, tomorrow will be a whole nother day

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky Durham said...

HI Jeff! You made it!

Update often!

2:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you made it safe! I pray for a shield of protection against both physical and spiritual attacks.

7:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home