I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Thursday, January 17, 2008

One week down

It's hard to believe that I've only been here for a week. Being back here sort of feels like being back at home. It feels good to be back, but there is a lot of things that are different that I'm trying to get used to. The area here has changed with the addition of a bridge build here. A lot of the bus stops have changed and restaurants have come and gone. I'm still trying to figure out a couple things.
Most of the kids all remember me and are really excited that I'm back. It has been an amazing week so far getting to see them all again and they all get real excited to see me in the morning. Everything seems to be a bit better on the wards now than when I had left last time which is also encouraging. The guys and staff here all seem to be a bit happier. One of the guys here, noom, has been talking a lot more since I had left the last time. He used to only really say the word for pretty a lot when playing with legos or what have you. Now he seems to talk more to the staff and volunteers. He has been calling all of the volunteers Jeffrey ever since I left last time. It's really funny, everyone is Jeffrey. He calls the girl volunteers Pretty Jeffrey.

Today we did some cooking with the kids. It was a noodle salad...the noodles were like ramen noodles and there was a lot of different things in the salad. The guys got to chop some vegetables and put in their own spices. They all seemed to have a great time doing it even though my group made their dish really sour at first. A bit of sugar water cured it right up though.
It's great being back with these guys. Thanks to everyone that helped to make this happen, I'm sure these guys would tell you how much they appreciate it if they had internet!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane B said...

Hi Jeff -
It is great to see that you are settling in and that some things seem to be brighter there. It is fun to follow your journey with the kids. I have been Jeff's mom for the last 28 years and the "pretty one" when playing cards and if I were there noom would call me Pretty Jeffrey. - How neat. Glad you are well.
Love MOM

7:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home