I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Sunday, November 13, 2005

just another random day

13-Nov

So, a couple weeks ago we went to Reyong with that other foundation that works with orphaned kids in Thailand. They told us that we would all meet again on the 13th of November to have some kind of a forum about volunteering. They told us that 2 people from each country had to prepare something to talk about at the forum describing the volunteering in that country. Since there’s only two of us from America, that meant we would each have to speak. The Belgium’s were able to make there way out of going, and Sarah and the two Swedish girls spent the weekend planning and preparing what they were going to say. I had to wake up at 6:30 this morning and take a shower so I was ready for the van by 7. When we got on the van I decided to start preparing…after all, the press was going to be there so I needed to have something. None of us really had any idea what the goal was in this forum and spending the whole day in a classroom telling each other about what volunteering looks like to them didn’t sound real appealing. There was about thirty or forty people there, half of them students from the University. Only 5 of us didn’t speak Thai and so the whole thing was in English. This was harder for the people talking and for the Students who attended because they didn’t all speak English well. Lunch was good, and so was the opportunity to see some of the people that we met a couple weeks ago. I found out that the goal was to start building a network of volunteers…I think. We got back home around 5:30 and I was pretty tired of sitting through speeches all day. Oh yeah…about the 10 minute speech I had to give. I feel like it went pretty dang good. It felt like I was back in college again…getting assignments done at the last minute and sitting back in amazement when it all comes together as if I’d been working on it for days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home