I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Balls of Fury

Today was a pretty good day with the kids. On Tuesday mornings we go into the sensory room with about 5 of the kids. What's a sensory room, you might be asking. Well, it's a dark room with mellow music where the kids can go and chill out, playing with different things that light up, floors of different textures, and of course, air conditioning. It's usually a pretty chill place and the kids seem to like being in there a lot.
However, little did I know (I had to take care of things last week so I arrived late last time) we go to a wonderful place called the Adventure Room before we go into the Sensory Room. Now, a better question might be, "What's an adventure room?". Well, there's lots of cushiony things, trampolenes, foam blocks to clime on, a slide, a fort, a swing, and oh yes, lots and lots of those plastic balls all over the floor.
It only took about 2 1/2 minutes of us being in there before those plastic balls that kids love so much were flying across the room, hitting anyone and everyone in their path. I think I threw about 200 fastballs in the span of about 45 minutes, which is quite tiring for any pitcher i would imagine. The kids seemed to love it a lot and some of them got some accurate throws. I was hit in the face more than once! A couple of the kids have decent reflexes, while a couple of them had reflexes like a stone wall. I think one of the kids got hit right between the eyes without even flinching! That's tough to do even when you try. They seemed to love it a lot though, and I don't know about them, but I can't wait to go back to this adventure room.

The sensory room was a good change of pace today, though there was 2 bus loads of students coming to visit from a school in Bangkok. People kept opening the door to peek inside and come and see the kids and take some pictures of what was going on in there. Probably wasn't very chill for the guys today.

On my lunch break today I learned how to sew...I tried to sew a big J on a piece of paper but it came out backwards. I think I'm confined to practicing my sewing while everyone else gets to work on the actual project that I'll have to use this new found skill with. Apparently I'm pretty bad at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home