I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

well, still no pics

I'm trying on the pictures though. I'll have to go another avenue I think. Things have been good over the past week, but a bit crazy. Over the weekend I went with all the other volunteers to a province nearby called Kanchanaburi. It was pretty relaxing and really good to get to spend time with the other people here. It was great spending time with them and learning about their countries. I even watched a little soccer with them one night, though I had to call it "football" in order for them to understand me. I got to ride an elephant while I was there which was OK, but I had already done that on a previous trip so I wasn't too enthuised about it. After riding it though we took them down into the river Kwai and washed them which was cool. I got to see the bridge over the river Kwai and check out some museums there too. I might go back there one more time just to go kayaking down the river with some of the volunteers.

I'm off to Laos tomorrow to get a visa. The Cambodian trip fell through and now we'll have to go stay in Laos for a night and get the proper visa. It's a headache and one that I should have been able to avoid, but I'll know better for the future I guess.

The last couple days with the kids have been pretty good. Today we took the to the main office to see a movie with all the other kids. We saw Tranformers, but it was in Thai. Not a bad movie I guess. After that the kids all got some fake money and had to buy there own food downstairs in a makeshift food court that had been set up. The whole point was to help them learn how to use money, but some of the kids just tore their money in half. Maybe they were just greedy and wanted twice as much. All I know is that I won't be handing them any of my money to hold for me.
Monday we took some of the guys to a park on the outskirts of Bangkok. The park was part of a Buddhist temple I think, and was a nice place to have a picnic. We took the guys there and cooked food and fed some fish. I got to learn how to cook some Thai food which was pretty fun. The kids wouldn't eat the food I prepared though (wimps) so I had to stomach it myself. Next time I might ask for a little more guidance in the cooking aspect of things here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home