I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Sunday, February 17, 2008

What a week

Well, things have been jammed packed since my last entry it seems, and everything seems either to be good or bad this week. I'll try to keep this one from getting too long. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures for this entry because everytime we went to do something this week I never seemed to have my camera with me for one reason or another.

The week started off with an upset stomach that lasted a couple days. All of the volunteers seemed to have it, along with just about every one of the guys from the ward. Then I had some kind of infection on my wrist that's been giving me grief for the last week or so. I thought it was a mesquito bite at first, but then the Thai staff told me that other volunteers and staff seem to get it from time to time when handling the guys. In one of the government wards that we take kids from, most all of them had scabbies and skin infections this week just like the one I seem to have, so I'm pretty sure that's where it came from. At least I can identify with their pain, though I have a hole in my wrist now and have to go to the doctor everyday for my daily dose of pain that they seem to enjoy giving me. I got some meds from them and its getting better, I just hope it heals up soon.

Thursday we had a valentines day party for the guys where we made a giant card and brought some snacks and ice cream to the disabled girls at CCD on the other side of the wards. They had a ton of fun with it. Friday we were supposed to go on an outing, but it was cancelled so I paid for some movie tickets so that we could take a bunch of guys to see a movie at the theatre. They loved it, and don't get to go often at all so they were real excited when we got to take them out. There was a total of twelve of us that went that day. Saturday I went out to lunch with another lady that works around the government wards with the guys and Bok. Bok used to be one of the guys that came to CCD but now he goes to study instead. He was so excited when I came back to Thailand to work here and has been wanting to go out one day and get lunch with me. So we took him to a friends house to eat lunch and then shopping at the market for a watch for him. It's his birthday sometime around now, noone really knows exactly when, so we celebrated it with some cake and a day of going around town. He was real excited and I was exhausted by the time we got back to the wards to drop him off.

A couple from England came to visit CCD this weekend which was great. We had a worship and dance session at the foster home CCD has on friday night. I worked with the couple the first time I was out here and since then they have been a huge blessing to CCD by working in England to earn some money for them and get some awareness out about the work that CCD is doing. They're legends around CCD. I hadn't seen them in four years so it was great to be here when they came and catch up with them. It was so interesting to think back to four years ago when I was working here and see all the things God has done in my life since then. After all, when I was working alongside Henry and Lydia four years ago I had never planned to even come back to Thailand. Praise God for all He's done since then!

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

What couple from England? Someone I'd remember? BTW I love the updates. It's awesome to see how things are going and to have good memories!

9:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Henry and Lydia. You would most likely remember them. Lydia has done a ton of work for CCD after going back to england and they keep coming back to see the kids.

2:12 AM

 
Blogger Becky Durham said...

Hi Jeff.

I hope your wrist gets better. We prayed for you at the session meeting last night. One of our members has some good contacts in Bangkok if you need to find a different doctor.

Becky

6:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home