I'm spending six months in Thailand just outside of Bangkok working with children who have disabilities. These are some of my thoughts and experiences

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bai Tiaow! (Going traveling!)

Tomorrow I'll be heading out to another province in the northeast part of Thailand to visit my friends from the slum and see the church that they've been helping to start up there. I'm really looking forward to seeing the family again and seeing the new life they have up in the northeast. I'm sure it's going to be quite different than when they were living in the slums. I'm real happy for them to be up there, but sad that I don't get to see them that often. I hope we'll be able to communicate with each other this weekend really well. I'll definitely let you know how everything goes. I know that there's something about me and their church and prayer but I haven't yet figured out what he keeps trying to tell me so parts of it should be a bit interesting as well!
Yesturday we took some guys to KFC for some dinner and then for some ice cream afterwards. They loved it! The guy in the had is 20 years old and doesn't get to go out often at all. It was the first time he'd had KFC. Odd is in the back of the picture...he's from Norway and volunteers at the boys home with me. Noom is sitting in front of Odd, he's the guy that calls everyone Jeffy. He was a riot to take out. He's got a great smile and was real happy wherever we went. The guy in the front of the picture is Even who came with Odd from Norway. He works with the kids younger than 7 and brought It with us. It is short for something that I couldn't pronounce. That kid loved being out with us and making a mess wherever we went! It's funny watching the guys pick the ice cream that they want from the big menu they gave us. The two in the back got whatever the special is...I think because they were overwhelmed with having to make a choice and chose the first thing on the menu. It however, proudly chose the biggest thing he could find! I wasn't sure he'd be able to finish it, but he's got a lot of fight in him when it comes to ice cream. Plus I think half of it ended up on his chin which helped him to be able to finish. I almost think Noom was there for the water more than the ice cream. He drank four glasses of water and barely finished the ice cream. I hate to think of how many times they had to take him to the bathroom after we dropped him off. It was a whole lot of fun for them though. A couple times they would start laughing histerically while they were eating. We turned a lot of heads that day!

Tomorrow we're going to a villiage nearby in the morning to open up the second Community Based Rehabilitation center that CCD is starting. It should be a good time, though I'm not sure how the time frame will work out since I have to be back in Bangkok at three to meet P Charlee to go to Burilam. They said we'd be back around two, which means nothing in Thailand. We didn't even find out we were going until three O'clock this afternoon. Tomorrow was going to be a big party for Odd as friday is his last day. There's already a sports day or something planned for friday, so the guys were working hard this week making him paintings and cards to give him at the party. After finding out about the day that was already planned for the volunteers at three o'clock today (in typical thai fashion where noone really knows what's going on until the last minute, and then, still really don't know what's going on) we had to cancell the party for tomorrow and just do a short one on friday. But, as they say in Thailand...mai bpen rai (no worries!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

HEy Birdman! Hope all is going well for you! I am currently with Emerson in Honduras. Emerson says `Hi.` He is working like a dog here and has a pretty sweet office. I`m gonna stay here a couple days and then head to El Salvador. Take care man!

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home